Discover the history of Clooney House, built in the 17th century and owned by the prominent Bindon family and the notable Francis Bindon. The house now lies in ruins and the former estate, now private farms, also includes the ruins of two gate-lodges, a late medieval tower-house, numerous outbuildings, and an overgrown walled garden.
Following a fire in the mid 19th century, Clooney house was rebuilt in its current location in the Italianate style. A rectangular five-bay structure of two storeys over basement, its most distinctive feature is the Italianate portico (a porch supported by columns).
In the 1901 census, Clooney house is recorded as a house with ‘more than 13 rooms’ and has 1 Coach House, 1 Harness Room, 14 Stables, 20 Cow Houses, 10 Calf Houses, 4 Piggeries, 1 Dairy and various other outhouses.
Today the house lies in ruins, having lain vacant since the 1920s.
The main entrance to Clooney House was beside the Clooney graveyard. The rear entrance to the house is in Clooney village, on the main Tulla-Ennis road.
Clooney House & the Bindon Family
1688 – David Bindon, a Member of Parliament for County Clare, was granted the lands of Clooney. He was married to Dorothy Burton of Buncraggy.
1723 – Francis Bindon, renowned architect and painter, inherited the Clooney estate.
1765 – The estate passed to Francis’ brother Nicholas Bindon and his wife Elizabeth.
1765-1853 – Clooney House remained in the ownership of many generations of the Bindon family
1853 – The house and lands were sold by Burton Bindon (born 1821) for over £10,000. Burton Bindon then emigrated to Australia.
1855 Clooney house was recorded as being unoccupied, burned down around this time
Late 1850’s – Burton Bindon’s daughter Ellen and husband Joseph Hall returned to Clooney from Melbourne, Australia and purchased the estate. They rebuilt Clooney House in Italianate style.
1911 – Ellen Bindon Hall still living in Clooney House according to census records. Joseph Hall died in 1906 and they had no children. Clooney house was then purchased by Davys and Lily Tuckey. Lily Tuckey was a daughter of Elizabeth Bindon Singleton, a cousin of Burton Bindon who had emigrated.
The Tuckeys were the last inhabitants of Clooney House.
In the 1920’s the land was divided among local farmers by the Land Commission.
Francis Bindon – Born Clooney House circa 1690
Francis Bindon was the fourth son of David and Dorothy Bindon. He was born in Clooney House circa 1690 and he inherited the house after the death of his brother, David. Francis Bindon was a renowned architect and painter. His skills live on today in houses such as Carnelly, Newhall and Castlepark in County Clare. He is also remembered for his full length portrait of Dean Swift in 1739 which hangs in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.
Did you know?
It is believed that the original gate & railings at the main entrance to the house are now to be found at the entrance to the Cratloe Grotto. The gates & piers at the rear entrance have recently been restored by our local Heritage Group.
Did you know?
Elizabeth Bindon, granddauthter of David Bindon, married William Blood in 1772. They were given the nearby Cranagher House when they married, which became part of the Bindon Blood estate in County Clare.
Elizabeth’s son, Bindon Blood, marred Anne Burton, aunt of Frederic William Burton, painter of the renowned ‘The Meeting on the Turret Stairs’.